Title: Senior Communications Manager
Reporting Supervisor: Executive Director
Location: Remote – PST hours
Start Date: As soon as available
Senior Communications Manager
The Senior Communications Manager (SCM) is responsible for overseeing the global communications, marketing, and public relations strategies for the Regenerative Organic Alliance (ROA). The SCM provides leadership that ensures our communication strategies achieve the growth goals of our expanding organization and supports the growing cohort of Regenerative Organic Certified® farms and licensed brands. This role will be responsible for developing and implementing a robust communications program to support our rapid growth.
The SCM is responsible for building on established relationships with ROA’s founders, along with other mission-aligned organizations, to support the advancement of the regenerative organic movement globally. This includes education and marketing campaigns, directed at different stakeholders including farmers, consumers, retailers, and other entities, to increase exposure of available products along with consumer demand for Regenerative Organic Certified® products. Familiarity with leading brands, retailers, and growers who are bringing Regenerative Certified Organic® food, textiles, and botanicals to market is essential. The SCM will help to create a media relations strategy that helps the ROA to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
The Regenerative Organic Alliance (ROA) is a young, nonprofit organization ripe for ambitious, self-motivated, and passionate team members. Our staff has a passion for regenerative organic agriculture, and we strive to revolutionize our agricultural systems through better farming. The ROA is a global standard-setting body for Regenerative Organic Certified® located in the USA. The SCM reports to the Executive Director (ED).
Qualifications and Responsibilities
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for implementation of comprehensive communication and public relations plans that enhance the organization’s mission
- Perform the day-to-day activities for all communication channels
- Oversee the annual report, branding, and regular electronic communications including website, news, and all social media platforms
- Develop and ensure communications support ROA’s programs by building effective strategies, goals, and benchmarks
- Broaden awareness of ROA’s programs and priorities by increasing the visibility to key audiences
- Support our family of certified farms and licensed brands by identifying and developing compelling stories, utilizing the best medium to tell these stories, as well as sharing farmer and brand communications on our channels
- Effectively identify leads for fundraising with the ROA Allies program and build a successful relationship with Allies by leveraging our communications channels
- Work with the ED to develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications strategy
- Work with our PR agency to create a media relations strategy that helps the ROA to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted external audiences, including the media and key influencers
- Prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed
Experience and Skills:
- Experience creating and writing for organizational newsletters, social media, annual reports, and other communication pieces
- Experience in developing and executing successful innovative communications programs and branding campaigns
- Working knowledge of nonprofit organizations, agriculture, compliance, and the organic community
- Ability to build strong relationships with various constituencies
- Ability to think creatively and assist with the development of unique and effective strategies to meet the organizational goals
- Comfortable with a small team in a fast-paced and fast-growing organization with a strong, diverse, and ambitious culture
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills and ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and foster long-term relationships
- Experience with planning, writing, editing, and production of press releases, marketing literature, and other print publications
- Ability to be adaptable to changing responsibilities and be flexible to work on a wide variety of projects
- Able to work independently and implement new initiatives
- Experienced in managing multiple projects, clients, and tasks simultaneously while adhering to deadlines and organizational protocol
- Practical working knowledge agriculture practices
- Ability to travel occasionally to represent ROA at conferences & tradeshows and with potential new clients
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters preferred in: Marketing, Communications, or related degree or equivalent advanced degree experience
- Minimum of five years of marketing and/or communications management experience in a non-profit organization
- Outstanding written, verbal, and virtual communication skills
- Skilled in Microsoft Office Suite, Mailchimp and Canva (or similar content creation platform)
- Database management software experience is required
How to Apply
Use the form below to submit your details as well as:
- Cover Letter
- One of the following creative projects:
- An op-ed for the New York Times on why consumers should support Regenerative Organic Certified®
- A shelf or end cap display to accompany a newly certified product at Whole Foods Market
- Create key talking points for presentation at the Textile Exchange annual conference on fast fashion versus sustainable fashion, especially related to cotton
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis as they are submitted. Early application submission is strongly encouraged. Please email questions about the position to email@example.com.
This position works 100% remotely, and no part can be subcontracted to others. This is a full-time position with a generous benefits package. Working hours will be in Pacific Standard Time zone.
The Regenerative Organic Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.